Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Oven - It's Not Just For Dinner Anymore

I found out something today. Get this: you can bake fabric in your oven! Yes, you heard me right. Baked fabric! We stitchers are always looking for new and different fabrics to use in our projects. I've been wanting to try my hand at dyeing my own fabric for some time now. Looking through Pinterest gave me some ideas, as did my imagination. But I haven't just gone and done anything about it until today.

Somewhere on the internet or Youtube, I saw a reference to The Twisted Stitcher's "Basted and Baked" dyed fabric, and had to look it up right then. Yes, I thought, this is the perfect way to test out my fabric dyeing skills. You can find the instructions HERE. 

I picked up some of the MCG Textiles fabric that Vonna mentions in the instructions, and also decided to use the coffee AND tea combination.

"Before" picture of the fabric, along with foil-covered cookie sheet with sides.
Above you see my strong tea and coffee mixtures. Mmmmmm, both of those look good enough to drink. My fabric went into the pot and then I poured the coffee and tea over it. The fabric stayed in the pot for about 10 minutes and then went onto the cookie sheet all bunched up. Then into the 250 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven.
Here's the fabric after two 15-minute go-rounds. Note the singe-y parts.
Yes, parts of the fabric started to get a little singed during the second 15 minute go-round in the oven. It's important that you keep an eye on your fabric because it can burn just like food can in the oven! Remember that! Vonna mentions that she is not responsible for destroyed or burned results that the reader may have when trying out this technique, and neither am I. Pay close attention to what's going on and don't get distracted by headless-drivers-going-through-the-drive-through videos. Or what your neighbor is having delivered. You know what I mean.
After three 15-minute go-rounds in the oven. Looks good to me.
I did three 15 minute go-rounds in the oven, watching the fabric very carefully. After the first and second go-rounds, I drizzled a little of the coffee/tea mixture onto the fabric. Not too much. I also re-wadded the fabric to get more of the mottled look. After the three 15 minute turns in the oven, I let the fabric cool a bit for easier handling and then rinsed it in cold water. Next I went to the ironing board (which I covered with an old, thick towel) and gave it a good pressing on both sides.
And there's my fabric, all pressed and hanging to dry! It's a very cool antiqued color and has a mottled effect, just like I was hoping for. And both sides are slightly different. I proclaim this as a success and want to thank Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher, for posting the instructions on her blog.

Things to remember if you're doing this:
--Different types of fabric will hold the dye differently. Natural fibers like linen and cotton tend to dye a little darker than fabrics containing synthetic fibers. I was wondering about putting a fabric with synthetic fibers into the oven, and then I saw that Vonna had used Lugana, which contains viscose. How about Jobelan? If you know the answer to that, please share!
--The cold water rinse does wash some of the dye out. Expect your finished product to be a little lighter in color after that rinse than when you took it out of the oven.
--Watch your fabric carefully when it's in the oven! Oh, did I already mention that? Yes? I can't say it enough! Be careful, just as you would with anything in the oven!
--This is indeed colorfast. Please see the comments section of this post.
--The whole process took me a little over an hour total to complete. 

Will I be doing this project again! Yes, definitely! I am very happy with the result and now only have to figure out what to stitch on it. I did see a really pretty chart online........

10 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I'm tempted...there are a few very large pieces of white fabric in my stash that would be perfect for this. I rarely stitch on white these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so, colorfast, I have used this fabric for years on many projects, baking it "sets" the color. Rinsing it gets rid of residual tea/coffee remaining. ironing it also sets it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for clearing that up, Vonna. That's great news because I really like the way this turned out and will be doing this again.

      Delete
  3. Your fabric turned out great!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sop pretty! I think I might try this technique as yours turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy! I'm a new follower and really enjoyed hearing about your dyeing and baking method. Vonna has excellent tips and you did a great job with your fabric. I think the color is lovely. I tried this with a cotton printed fabric and oh my the fabric took to the coffee dye immediately. I pulled it out within seconds and it was perfect. But on cross stitch linen I find it takes the time you suggested. We would love it if you would come and visit us at our new blog...
    stitchingfriendsforever2. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathy, I am the other half of stitchingfriendsforever2 and am following also, very interesting post, I have dyed fabric but never baked it, your color came out great. Nice rustic look to it. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your fabric turned out great. I love its color. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great job, it looks fantastic! I've done a little tea dyeing, but didn't finish it in the oven... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!

    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete