Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Need To Bead

While looking through my vast collection of beads one day, I figured that I should actually make something with my beads rather than leaving them to sparkle in their little compartments.  Remembering that I had once enjoyed crafting a beaded rope bracelet, I also knew that I'd need a little refresher course on how exactly to do it.  That's where YouTube came in.  You can find all sorts of crafty instructions there and I did locate quite a few on how to do the beaded rope stitch, or spiral rope.  I finally settled on one that explained it clearly and went to work. 

I used 6/0 seed beads in brown and blue for my project.  After watching the video for a few minutes, I found that I easily remembered the spiral rope.  And here's what I came up with.
The beads I used were not very uniform in size, so I didn't get the even result that I was looking for.  But all in all, I think it turned out pretty good.  I'd like to try this with smaller seed beads, or maybe even Delicas for a less chunky look.  I used a different video to learn how to attach the clasp.  If  you're looking for a fun project, this one is easy and quick.  You can put one of these together in less than an hour.  Really.

 I also indulged in some baking craftiness, spurred on by some very ripe, spotted bananas sitting on my counter.  And the result was some delicious banana bread.  Apparently one of the cats thought it smelled just delicious and couldn't resist.  He (I'm looking at you, Ozzy) chewed through the foil I had covering it and attacked a good portion of the top of the loaf.  He must have liked it a lot.  Note to self:  never leave any food item out where a cat can get to it.  And that includes the top of the refrigerator.
Here in Georgia, we are having pretty good weather compared with some other parts of our country.  It is a little cold at times and the cats are always seeking out heat sources, like the heat registers or spots of sunshine.  And sometimes it's all peace and harmony when they cuddle together.
Cosmo & Moxie putting aside their differences.
And where's Ozzy, you ask?  Oh, probably off in search of something to eat.


10 comments:

  1. LOL! Well, one of the kitties had to be the problem child of the day! :D Who would have thought a kitty would want banana bread?! I have one of those kitties though, he eats some of the most un-cat like foods like mashed potatoes!
    Thanks for popping over to say Hi - isn't that snow something! We are now all plowed and shoveled out so all is well again in Mossberry Cottage land!:D
    Hugs and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty kitty! Love your bracelet:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beading project came out very well I think. Poor little starved ozzy most likely is looking for something to eat! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really pretty.
    Bad cat! We have the same problem, I find hiding things in the microwave is quite handy

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of our cats is a nightmare with bread, whenever we go shopping he will rip the bag open and run off with the loaf! So one day we just let him, he started to eat it then realised he didn't even like it! Thankfully that put an end to his bread thieving ways!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The banana bread looks luscious! I'm so glad you got a picture of it before the cat snacked on it! I always bake banana bread when I see the bananas getting dark and mushy. I have used the same recipe from the Joy of Cooking cookbook for 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, my Dear! I've come to you from The "Grow Your Blog" party...it was over before I knew about it, but it was so nice of Vicki to leave the list up! Anyway, I always welcome new blogs to enjoy, and yours is delightful! I am now following you ~ please come and visit me if you get a chance!
    So nice to "meet" you!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bracelet is BEAUTIFUL but no band width so I'll just admire yours from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've won my Grow Your Blog giveaway! I've e-mailed you, but haven't heard from you yet. The prize is the pink and green bracelet pictured in my Grow Your Blog post. Please e-mail me with your address so I can send it to you.
      Cathy

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous bracelet, you are very clever. Our cats can sniff out food from waaay out in the back yard. Nothing is safe! Lol!

    ReplyDelete